GERD is common, every 2 out
of 5 Malaysian are suffering
GERD is common, every 2 out of 5 Malaysian are suffering from GERD
WHAT IS GERD?
- GERD is short for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease.
- It is a medical condition, which develops when acid from the stomach flows back into the esophagus (acid reflux).
- Acid reflux can cause troublesome symptoms and/or complications in patients.
WHAT CAUSES GERD?
- GERD occurs when the sphincter becomes weak and does not function properly. The sphincter is a muscle that acts like a gate to prevent food and stomach acid from flowing back into the esophagus.
Burning sensation in the chest which rises to the throat
Sour/bitter or discomfort
Chest Pain or Discomfort
Difficulty In Swallowing
Hoarseness/Persistent Sore Throat
GERD symptoms can impact your quality of life
- Sleep disturbances
- Reduce productivity at the work
- Inability to enjoy food and drinks
- Lack of energy
Despite this fact, many wait a long time before seeing a doctor suffering in silences.
Why Do You Need To Seek Treatment For GERD?
- Frequent episodes of GERD can lead to esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus) and other damages. Over exposure to acid can cause changes in the cells lining the esophagus which is a condition known as Barrett’s esophagus.
- Untreated Barrett’s esophagus can lead to esophageal cancer. The more frequent, more severe, longer lasting the symptoms of GERD, the greater the risk of adenocarcinoma.
Lifestyle Modifications Tips
- Take small and frequent meals
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Avoid lying down or sleeping within 3 hours after a meal
- Loosen your belt. Tight clothes can put extra pressure on your abdomen and force acid upwards
- Maintain a healthy body weight
Raise head of bed while sleeping (6-9 inches above the rest of body)
- Avoid bending over or stooping
- Don’t smoke
What Medication Are Available?
- There are a few types of medication available for example H2 blockers, Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) and Potassium-Competitive Acid Blockers (PCABs). One of the recommended medication for GERD is PPIs. PPIs are a class of drugs that act by blocking the action of acid pumps in the stomach. Thus, the secretion of acid in the stomach is prevented.
- PPIs provide relief from heartburn and help heal damage caused by acid in the esophagus. Other option such as antacids are available over the counter in pharmacies nationwide. Antacids act locally to buffer gastric and esophageal contents, providing rapid but relatively short-term symptom relief and in only approximately 25% of GERD patients.
What is GerdQ?
GerdQ is an assessment tool developed for physicians to identify and manage patients with GERD.
- You may perform a self-assessment of your symptoms by completing GerdQ questionnaire.
- You can make certain lifestyle modifications to reduce GERD symptoms. However, you should use them as an alternative.
- Consult your pharmacist or make an appointment with doctor to get proper medical consultation.
Vakil et.Am J Gastroenterol 2006;101: 1900-20
Jesper L et. al.NEJM 1999;340(11):825-31
R. Jones et. al.Aliment Pharmacol Ther 30, 10301038
Kulig et. al.Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003;18(8):757-76
Petitte M. Pharm World Sci 2005; 27: 432–435.
Rosaida MS & Goh KL, European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology 2004, 16:495–501.
Approval code: MY_GI_MY-7840_18/10/2021