How Can You Start A Plant-based Diet?
1. Take it one step at a time. Take small steps to eat less meat. You can eat two or three meals each week that do not include meat or dairy products.
2. Make healthy swaps. You can still enjoy your favourite food but just make some clever swaps. If you like to eat pizza, substitute the pizza crust with cauliflower and added with colourful vegetables instead of meat and cheese.
3. Cut down meat and processed food intake.
4. You can take the next step by committing to eat at least one plant-based meal a day. Breakfast is a good place to start.
5. Most restaurants will be more than accommodating or even note vegan options on their menu. You can always check menu, call ahead and plan accordingly.
6. Keep in mind that any transition takes time. It is important to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.
How Can You Choose Plant-based Diet?
Here are some guidelines you can substitute your animal-based food to plant-based alternatives.
|Animal-based Food||Plant-based Diet Substitution|
Olive oil spread
Coconut oil spread
Plant based burger
Beans and legumes
|Ice Cream (dairy)||
Plant based ice cream
(avocado, coconut milk, almond milk, oat, cashew, cocoa butter)
Butternut squash veggie pizza
|Whey protein powder (cow)||
Plant based protein powder
(soy, pea, brown rice, hemp)
Vegan cheddar cheese
Vegan mozzarella cheese
Vegan cream cheese
Vegan parmesan cheese
Dairy free yogurt
(coconut, soybean, almond based)
Your Plant-Based Breakfast Recipe
Chia Overnight oats with berries and nuts
½ cup rolled oats
2/3 cup almond milk
½ ripe banana
¼ cup fresh berries
2 tablespoon chopped nuts
2 tablespoon chia seeds
- Place oats, almond milk and chia seeds in a mason jar or container. Mix well and place jar in refrigerator overnight.
- Top with banana slices, fresh berries and mixed nuts. If desired, put a little honey on top.
- Parsons, R. (2014, July 30). 10 Food Substitutions Every Plant-Based Eater Should Know. Retrieved September 08, 2020, from https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/food-substitutions-plant-based-diet/
- Simple Swaps and Substitutions for Plant-Based Eating. (2019, November 27). Retrieved September 08, 2020, from https://gamechangersmovie.com/simple-swaps-and-substitutions-for-eating-plant-based/
- Going nuts about milk? Here’s what you need to know about plant-based milk alternatives. Retrieved September 08, 2020, from https://nutrition.org/going-nuts-about-milk-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-plant-based-milk-alternatives/
- Frey, M. (2020, March 25). What Is a Plant-Based Diet? Retrieved September 08, 2020, from https://www.verywellfit.com/plant-based-diet-recipes-tips-guidelines-4174728